Friday 22 October 2010

Migraine, and focaccia.

Yesterday's baking was a bit precarious what with one thing and another. I woke up about an hour before the alarm with a proper migraine - dodgy vision, consuming nausea and a jackhammer in the temples. I feared for my bloomers.

Luckily, it was short lived. I was able to drift back off a couple of hours later and was functioning again by 6.30. But now the baking schedule was out by 3 hours. What to do?

Well, we had two more pieces of good luck. First, it had been a very cold night and the starter I had left to ferment wasn't ruined, and second, a last minute canceled order meant that I could redo the schedule to reduce the number of oven loads. I figured this meant I might just get everything baked in time for delivery.

As it turned out, baking went a little better than expected. The bloomers came out looking nice:



and delivery was only slightly later than we had hoped. Also, we got an extra treat out of it. There was all that dough hanging around from the canceled order, you see. It spoke to me of foccacia. Simultaneously soft and chewy from its long ferment, and delicious with extra oil and salt:



The household portion didn't last very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment