Monday 13 September 2010

Fabric

The artisan baker is pretty dependent on fabric. The proving clothes, the wiping clothes, the endless handwashing . . .

You can, of course, buy proving clothes. However, to me that seems a rather expensive way to get some heavy hemmed cloth. When we started out baking in our kitchen, I started making proving clothes for lining the baskets in which the round loaves rise, and in which the longer free-standing loaves rise. It's so little trouble to do I still make them as we need them. I use heavy artist's canvas, which seems to do the job just fine. We have long clothes which are folded up to support many rising loaves and square ones which line baskets.



We also use cloth for delivering bread to bread clubs. Each household's bread is popped into a cloth bag, labeled with their order for the week, the bags are then taken to the hub household and people pick up their loaves from there. We use bags from Bishopston Trading


All of Bishopston's stuff is organic and fairtrade. And I don't think you can have a sustainable bakery without that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I was wondering where you source your linens? I have a bakery (www.theloaf.co.uk) and could do with some cloths for similar purposes to yours and also for covering our baker's table etc.
    Thanks
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete